The EPSRC UK Robotics and Autonomous Systems (UK-RAS) Network is inviting viewers across the world into some of the UK’s top robotics research labs in this year’s Robot Lab Live – the UK’s only mass robotics livestream event (Wednesday 21st June 2023, 4-6pm, live on YouTube). Robot Lab Live is a unique opportunity to see cutting-edge robotics research, interact with researchers, and even remote-control a robot, all from the comfort of your own home.
This one-of-a-kind virtual robotics showcase, hosted by the ESPRC UK-RAS Network, will feature eight of the UK’s top robotics labs. Now in its third year, this event is a highlight of the UK Festival of Robotics. Live viewers can flick between different demos during the two-hour livestream, ask questions to the researchers and interact with the robots remotely. The event is free to access, but viewers are encouraged to subscribe now to the UK Robotics YouTube channel and set a reminder for the livestreams.
Featured demos this year will include:
- Watch researchers from The University of Nottingham show-off their skills at driving a robot by just shifting around in their seats.
- Collaborate with other audience members to help a Spot robot navigate around a simulated industrial zone at Heriot-Watt University’s National Robotarium.
- See how socially assistive robots can help the team at the University of Hertfordshire’s Robot House get ready for their summer holidays.
- Discover artificial evolution of robot brains and bodies in action at the University of York.
- Join researchers from Aberystwyth University as they demonstrate their autonomous off-road robot navigating fields in the Welsh hills to assist farmers.
- Experience a guided visit to an archaeological museum with University of Lincoln’s mobile robot guide, Lindsey.
- Find out howa robot at King’s College London can assist people with activities in their daily lives, such as drinking a cup of juice.
- Check out researchers at Cranfield University showing-off their autonomous railway inspection and repair robot.
Commenting on the livestream, EPSRC UK-RAS Network Chair Professor Robert Richardson said: “We’re thrilled to be bringing this hugely popular event to the UK Festival of Robotics for a third year. It really is a one-of-a-kind event and we’re looking forward to showcasing exciting technology in action, from cutting-edge health and social care solutions, to industrial inspection and repair robots, and rugged off-road farming robots. This unique livestream offers people across the world the chance to learn more about the many ways that robots can assist and improve our lives, and interact with the talented researchers who are driving these innovations forwards.”
Robot Lab Live launched in 2021 as part of the UK Festival of Robotics – a seven-day celebration of robotics and intelligent systems held at the end of June. This annual programme of events is hosted by the EPSRC UK Robotics and Autonomous Systems Network, which provides academic leadership in robotics and coordinates activities at over 30 partner universities across the UK.